CARH reports shortage of RA

The text below is from an email from CARH: RD Runs Out of Section 521 Rental Assistance Funds

USDA is again facing a shortage of Section 521 Rental Assistance (RA) funds and is waiting for OMB approval for an exception request to the amount of funds available during the current Continuing Resolution (CR), which funds the government through January 15, 2014.

CARH is working on getting additional information from Rural Development (RD), but information has been incomplete. There has not been a definitive response or detailed information on what our members should do if this shortfall has affected them. The CR renewed program levels at sequestration levels, rather than the anticipated higher Senate or Administration funding levels. If you are affected, you should soon receive an advisory from RD to the effect you should hold off making your December payment. We understand that RD will advise those owners affected that it is not necessary to add projects to request for RA allocations and renewals because no action will be taken. As soon as funds are made available, the next allocation round will be posted.  

There is currently no timeframe as to when OMB approval will be granted and funds made available. We assume that this is a temporary situation and CARH will continue to monitor it closely and provide our members with updates as soon as possible.

Please contact the CARH national office at or 703-837-9001 should you have questions.

Posted in: